Uncertainty plays an important role in saving. The performance of the Estonian economy is overshadowed by uncertainty that has accompanied the stalling of efforts to find solutions to several global problems. Many issues like tariff... more
The latest financial stability review from Eesti Pank indicates that risks to the financial sector are small. The probability has increased though of the cooling economy making it harder for businesses to make their loan payments.
Governor of Eesti Pank Madis Müller said that the risks... more
Weakening global economic activity, the spread of protectionism, general uncertainty and obstacles to demand growth in important trading partners for Estonia all threatened seriously the outlook for Estonian exports in the first... more
Estonian exports of goods and services have grown more slowly in the first nine months of 2018 than in 2017, and imports have grown faster. Exports may have grown more slowly not only because growth in foreign demand has stalled, but also... more
- The biggest boost to the current account surplus came from exports of services
- The inflow of direct investment was at the same level as in 2016
- The threat of external imbalances has declined
The year... more
- A favourable external environment has encouraged Estonian exports and the economy
- Faster growth will need investment to increase substantially
- A more stable tax environment would help revive investment and growth
- Competitiveness depends on the ability of... more
Speaking at a conference for industry on Tuesday, Ülo Kaasik said that there have been a series of positive changes in exports in the first half of the year. External markets are growing, albeit slowly, but industrialists are under constant pressure from wages.
“Despite slow economic... more
In a presentation at the annual conference of the Estonian Economic Association, Ardo Hansson, Governor of Eesti Pank, explained that the competitiveness of the exporting sector has been under higher pressure than before, as was shown by the loss of market share in export markets in 2015.... more