Estonian companies and residents made an average of 462,000 payments a day in August, and 90% of them reached the payee in just a few seconds. All payments made in Estonia within one bank and 61% of interbank... more
The payment statistics for July 2020 will be published on 24 August 2020 at 08.00. See also the release calendar
A statistical release on the payment statistics for the third quarter will be published on 22 October 2020 at 08.00.
Eesti Pank publishes... more
The banks raised the limit on contactless payments from 25 euros to 50 euros at the end of March to reduce contact with terminals during the emergency situation and so help restrain the spread of the virus. In... more
The emergency situation left clear traces in how residents of Estonia behave when making purchases and handling cash. As the emergency measures eased, normal life started to return a little in May, though the... more
- is involved in setting up and managing the payment and settlement systems of the ESCB
- meets the liabilities that result from managing Eesti Pank’s financial assets and the Eurosystem’s monetary policy operations
- manages and settles collateral assets submitted to Eesti... more
- Transaction numbers: 37% fewer card payments were made than a year ago, while the number of transactions in cash is down in total by 42%
- Transaction turnover: the turnover of card payments is 20... more
The payment statistics for April 2020 will be published on 25 May 2020 at 08.00. See also the calendar of statistical publications at release calendar
A statistical release on the payment statistics for the second quarter will be published on 21 July 2020 at 08.00.
STEP2 is a pan-European automated clearing house. It started operating in April 2003 and was the first, and so far only, such system. The system owner and operator is EBA Clearing, a company owned by the banks that provides pan-European payment infrastructure.
STEP2 is a multilateral... more
Card payments are the most common form of retail payments in Estonia. Card payments involve various parties, each with their own role and responsibilities.
- cards are issued by banks, which debit the account of the cardholder after each card transaction
- the payments... more
TARGET2 is a pan-European automated real-time gross settlement express transfer system that is owned and operated by the Eurosystem. The legal structure of TARGET2 consists of component systems that are operated by the national central banks. Eesti Pank operates the TARGET2-Eesti component... more