- is involved in setting up and managing the payment and settlement systems of the ESCB
- meets the liabilities that result from managing Eesti Pank’s financial assets and the Eurosystem’s monetary policy operations
- manages and settles collateral assets submitted to Eesti... more
- Transaction numbers: 37% fewer card payments were made than a year ago, while the number of transactions in cash is down in total by 42%
- Transaction turnover: the turnover of card payments is 20... more
The payment statistics for April 2020 will be published on 25 May 2020 at 08.00. See also the calendar of statistical publications at release calendar
A statistical release on the payment statistics for the second quarter will be published on 21 July 2020 at 08.00.
STEP2 is a pan-European automated clearing house. It started operating in April 2003 and was the first, and so far only, such system. The system owner and operator is EBA Clearing, a company owned by the banks that provides pan-European payment infrastructure.
STEP2 is a multilateral... more
Card payments are the most common form of retail payments in Estonia. Card payments involve various parties, each with their own role and responsibilities.
- cards are issued by banks, which debit the account of the cardholder after each card transaction
- the payments... more
TARGET2 is a pan-European automated real-time gross settlement express transfer system that is owned and operated by the Eurosystem. The legal structure of TARGET2 consists of component systems that are operated by the national central banks. Eesti Pank operates the TARGET2-Eesti component... more
Payment services and card payments are vital services. Banks must keep vital services operating even if people are not able to live their normal lives. So far they have functioned without incident.
Estonian companies and residents made an average of 482,000 payments a day in the third quarter, and 87% of them were instant payments. The share of payments made in real time will increase further in the near... more
An average of 994,000 card payments were made with bank cards issued in Estonia in the second quarter, one quarter of them contactless payments. The spread of contactless payments has not led to any increase... more
Eesti Pank is responsible for promoting a secure and efficiently functioning payments market, which covers payment and settlement systems and methods of payment. How the payments market functions is important for
- ensuring the stability of the economic and financial system,... more