Eesti Pank is issuing a two-euro coin dedicated to the Estonian national animal, the wolf
- The coin will enter circulation through banks and shops on 20 October
- One million of the coins will be minted
- There will be 12,000 two-euro coin cards, which will sell for 10 euros
- The coin and coin card will go on sale at 11.00 on 20 October in the Omniva online shop
- Coins will be available from the Eesti Pank museum shop from 2 November
The new commemorative coin shows a howling wolf standing on a rocky outcrop against a background of an Estonian pine forest and a starry night sky. The coin was designed by the designer Maria Meos.
The two-euro commemorative coins with the special design are valid as legal tender throughout the euro area. They will enter circulation through banks and shops from 20 October.
A total of one million coins have been minted, of which 12,000 are BU (brilliant uncirculated) quality and are sold on a coin card. The coins were minted by the Lithuanian mint.
The coin card was designed by one of the designers of the Estonian kroon banknotes, Vladimir Taiger, who was also an advisor for the design of the coin.
The winning designer Maria Meos is a designer who works in Tallinn at the Kontuur Leo Burnett creative agency. She has graduated in graphic design from the Estonian Academy of Arts, having submitted her design for the coin while still studying.
Sales of the coin
- Coin rolls and coin cards are on sale in the Omniva online shop from 11.00 on 20 October
- Up to 20 coin cards and 20 rolls of coins containing 25 coins in a roll can be bought in one purchase. If 25 coins are ordered from the online shop, they will be delivered in a roll
- If the spread of Covid-19 permits, the coins will go on sale in the Eesti Pank museum shop on 2 November. Any coin cards that still remain unsold at that point will also go on sale. The coins and coin cards will not be sold by post offices
- The Eesti Pank museum shop can be contacted on 6680 650
- The Omniva customer service can be contacted by telephone on 661 6616 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org on working days from 09.00-20.00, and at weekends and on national holidays from 09.00–15.00
What are commemorative coins?
Commemorative coins are two-euro coins that are released into circulation, and that have a special commemorative design on the national side in place of the usual national design to commemorate a particular significant national or European event or topic. The coins are all legal tender throughout the euro area, so they can be used for payments like any other euro coin.
Tel: 668 0965, 5697 9146
Press enquiries: email@example.com