Karsten Staehr Curriculum Vitae
E-mail: [email protected]
1997 — Ph.D., Economics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
1996 — MSc, Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
1991 — MA, Economics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2011—current: Research Supervisor, Economics and Research Department, Bank of Estonia, Estonia
2009—current: Visiting Lecturer, ISM University of Management and Economics, Lithuania
2007—current: Professor in public and international finance, Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia
2006—2011: Research Supervisor, Research Department, Bank of Estonia, Estonia
2006—2007: Lecturer, Department of Public Administration, University of Tartu, Estonia
2005—2006 and 2007: Lecturer, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2005—2006: Senior Economist, Environmental Assessment Institute, Denmark
2001—2005: Lecturer, EuroFaculty, University of Tartu, Estonia
1998—2003: Senior Advisor, Internationa lDepartment, Central Bank of Norway, Norway
1996—1997: Lecturer, EuroFaculty, University of Vilnius, Lithuania
Staehr, Karsten & Katri Urke (2022, forthcoming): “EU funding and public investments in the EU countries”, Empirica, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10663-022-09549-6.
Levenko, Natalia & Karsten Staehr (2022, forthcoming): “Self-reported tax compliance in post-transition Estonia”, Economic Systems, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecosys.2022.101047.
- Nilavongse, Rachatar, Michał Rubaszek, Karsten Staehr & Gazi Uddin (2021): “Foreign and domestic uncertainty shocks in four open economies”, Open Economies Review, Vol 32, No 5, pp 933-954. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11079-021-09656-0
- Staehr, Karsten & Lenno Uusküla (2021): “Macroeconomic and macro-financial factors as leading indicators of non-performing loans. Evidence from the EU countries”, Journal of Economic Studies, Vol 48, No 3, pp 720-740. https://doi.org/10.1108/JES-03-2019-0107
- Harkmann, Kersti & Karsten Staehr (2021): “Current account drivers and exchange rate regimes in Central and Eastern Europe”, Journal of International Money and Finance, Vol 110, art no 102286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jimonfin.2020.102286
- Staehr, Karsten (2021): “Export performance and capacity pressures in Central and Eastern Europe”, International Economics, Vol 165, pp 204-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inteco.2020.12.008
- Kukk, Merike, Alari Paulus & Karsten Staehr (2020): “Cheating in Europe: underreporting of self-employment income in comparative perspective”, International Tax and Public Finance, Vol 27, No 2, pp 363-390. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10797-019-09562-9
- Staehr, Karsten & Robert Vermeulen (2019): “Heterogeneous effects of competitiveness shocks on macroeconomic performance across euro area countries”, World Economy, Vol 42, No 1, pp 68-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/twec.12675
- Ferraro, Simona, Jaanika Meriküll & Karsten Staehr (2018): “Minimum wages and the wage distribution in Estonia”, Applied Economics, Vol 50, No 49, pp 5253-5268. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2018.1486017
- Kukk, Merike & Karsten Staehr (2017): “Identification of households prone to income underreporting: employment status or reported business income?”, Public Finance Review, Vol 45, No 5, lk 599-627. https://doi.org/10.1177/1091142115616182
- Cuestas, Juan Carlos, Fabio Filipozzi & Karsten Staehr (2017): “Uncovered interest parity in central and eastern Europe: expectations and structural breaks”, Review of International Economics, Vol 25, No 4, pp 695-710. https://doi.org/10.1111/roie.12280
- Kukk, Merike, Dmitry Kulikov & Karsten Staehr (2016): “Estimating consumption responses to income shocks of different persistence using self-reported income measures”, Review of Income and Wealth, Vol 62, No 2, pp 311-333. https://doi.org/10.1111/roiw.12163
- Baldi, Guido & Karsten Staehr (2016): “The European debt crisis and fiscal reactions in Europe 1999-2014”, International Economics and Economic Policy, Vol 13, No 2, pp 297-317. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10368-014-0309-4
- Bobeica, Elena, Paulo Soares Esteves, António Rua & Karsten Staehr (2016): “Exports and domestic demand pressure: a dynamic panel data model for the euro area countries”, Review of World Economics, Vol 152, No 1, pp 107-125. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10290-015-0234-9
- Staehr, Karsten (2015): “Economic growth and convergence in the Baltic states: caught in a middle income trap?”, Intereconomics, Vol 50, No 5, pp 274-280. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10272-015-0551-1
- Cuestas, Juan Carlos, Fabio Filipozzi, Karsten Staehr (2015): “Do foreign exchange forecasters believe in Uncovered Interest Parity?”, Economics Letters, Vol 133, pp 92-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2015.05.029
- Gabrisch, Hubert & Karsten Staehr (2015): “The Euro Plus Pact. Competitiveness and external capital flows in the EU Countries”, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol 53, No 3, pp 558-576. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcms.12220
- Filipozzi, Fabio & Karsten Staehr (2013): “Covered interest parity and the global financial crisis in four Central European countries”, Eastern European Economics, Vol 51, No 1, pp 21-35. https://doi.org/10.2753/EEE0012-8775510102
- Cuestas, Juan Carlos & Karsten Staehr (2013): “Fiscal shocks and budget balance persistence in the EU countries from Central and Eastern Europe”, Applied Economics, Vol 45, No 22, pp 3211-3219. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2012.703316
- Cuestas, Juan Carlos, Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana & Karsten Staehr (2011): “A further investigation of unemployment persistence in European transition economies”, Journal of Comparative Economics, Vol 39, No 4, pp 514-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jce.2011.09.002.
- Meriküll, Jaanika & Karsten Staehr (2010): “Unreported employment and envelope wages in mid-transition: comparing developments and causes in the Baltic countries”, Comparative Economic Studies, Vol 52, No 4, pp 637-670. https://doi.org/10.1057/ces.2010.17
- Lewis, John & Karsten Staehr (2010): “The Maastricht Inflation Criterion: what is the effect of enlargement of the European Union?”, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol 48, No 3, pp 687-708. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-5965.2010.02069.x
- Staehr, Karsten (2008): “Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area”, Economic Systems, Vol 32, No 1, pp 46-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecosys.2007.06.007
- Staehr, Karsten (2006): “Linkages between political and economic reforms in the post-communist countries”, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Vol 32, No 2, pp 113-138.
- Staehr, Karsten (2005): “Reforms and economic growth in transition economies: complementarity, sequencing and speed”, European Journal of Comparative Economics, Vol 2, No 2, pp 177-202.
- Roberts, Mark, Torben Tranæs & Karsten Stæhr (2000): “Two-stage bargaining with coverage extension in a dual labour market”, European Economic Review, Vol 44, No 1, pp 181-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2921(98)00056-7