E-post: Merike.Kukk [at] eestipank.ee
Household consumption, saving and borrowing
The interaction between household behaviour and the real economy
Household tax behaviour
2016 — Ph.D. in Economics, Tallinn University of Technology
2004 — MA in Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology
1999 — BA in Economics, University of Tartu
2016 – Bank of Estonia, Economics and Research Department, Economist (0.6)
2016 – Tallinn University of Technology, Department of Finance and Economics, Associate Professor
2013, 2015 Bank of Estonia, Economics and Research Department, Visiting Researcher (part-time)
2012-2016 Tallinn University of Technology, Department of Finance and Economics, Researcher
2005-2008 SEB, Marketing and PR division, Deputy Head
2000-2004 SEB, Marketing and PR division, Project Manager
Cheating in Europe: underreporting of self-employment income in comparative perspective, forthcoming in 2020, authors Merike Kukk, Alari Paulus and Karsten Staehr. International Tax and Public Finance.
The Spanish housing market: is it fundamentally broken?, forthcoming in 2020, authors Juan Carlos Cuestas Olivares and Merike Kukk. Applied Economics Letters.
Debt repayment problems: short-term and long-term implications for spending, 2019, autor Merike Kukk. Review of Economics of the Household, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 715-740.
What explains the gender gap in wealth? Evidence from administrative data, 2019, authors Jaanika Meriküll, Merike Kukk and Tairi Rõõm. Working Papers of Eesti Pank, No 4/2019.
Macroeconomic imbalances and loan quality in panels of European countries, 2019, authors Merike Kukk and Natalia Levenko. Working Papers of Eesti Pank, No 6/2019.
Macroeconomic Factors in the Dynamics of Corporate and Household Saving. Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe, 2017, authors Merike Kukk and Karsten Staehr. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Vol. 53, No.11, pp. 2585–2608.
- Identification of Households Prone to Income Underreporting: Employment Status or Reported Business Income?, 2017, authors Merike Kukk and Karsten Staehr. Public Finance Review, Vol.45, No.5, pp. 599–627.
- How does household debt affect financial asset holdings? Evidence from euro area countries, 2017, author Merike Kukk. Studies in Economics and Finance, Vol. 34, No.2, pp. 194-212.
- Asymmetries in the interaction between housing prices and housing credit in Estonia, 2017, authors Juan Carlos Cuestas and Merike Kukk. Working Papers of Eesti Pank, No 2/2017.
- How Did Household Indebtedness Hamper Consumption during the Recession? Evidence from Micro Data, 2016, author Merike Kukk. Journal of Comparative Economics, Vol. 44, No.3, pp. 764-786.
- Estimating Consumption Responses to Income Shocks of Different Persistence Using Self-Reported Income Measures, 2016, authors Merike Kukk, Dmitry Kulikov and Karsten Staehr. Review of Income and Wealth, Vol. 62, No.2, pp. 311-333.
- Enhanced Fiscal Governance in the European Union: The Fiscal Compact, 2015, authors Merike Kukk and Karsten Staehr. Baltic Journal of European Studies, Vol. 5, No.1, pp. 73-92.
- Income Underreporting by Households with Business Income. Evidence from Estonia, 2014, authors Merike Kukk and Karsten Staehr. Post-Communist Economies, Vol. 26, No.2, pp. 257-276.
- Housing Equity Withdrawal and Consumption Dynamics in Estonia 2002-2011, 2012, authors Madis Aben, Merike Kukk and Karsten Staehr. Research in Economics and Business: Central and Eastern Europe, Vol 4, No. 1, pp. 19-40.